Previously I wrote about the water in your coffee. Well certainly the coffee matters to the taste. Does the equipment? If so, it is to a relatively small degree. Think about it. Water is 98% of coffee. Coffee is indeed the other 2%. The equipment can affect taste and certainly dictates how it is brewed.
You know though, your gear does not need to cost a lot in order for your coffee to come out tasting good, even superb. If you get the proper grind for your coffee then it will brew just fine in your Mr. Coffee coffee maker or your french press ( I want the the Bodum Classic ) or however you choose to make it. But put a grind that is perfect for the french press is not necessarily going to make good coffee. The ground pieces will be too large and not allow enough water penetration and all the tasty particulates that you are expecting in a pressed coffee will be blocked by the filter and you will be left with? Not sure I want to know.
But back to equipment. My Mr. Coffee coffee maker and my Mr. Coffee coffee grinder (blade model) produces rather excellent coffee because I am putting in freshly roasted freshly ground coffee and filtered water. I use 5 tablespoons of beans to produce the coffee. This gives the right flavor for me. Coffee after all is highly personal.
In speaking of tablespoons @Coffeeshopsrus just posted a review of coffee scoops. Really now. Honestly? Its a damn scooper! See what I am saying? Y
ou CAN take the quest for gear too far. If you are a professional barista ok I can understand some seriously high end gear, or a coffee shop, yep, need the industrial strength stuff that will stand up to the use.
But for the home, I think it is fair to say that it is FAR MORE what you put in as to what you put it in.